I’m sure this is clear already, but the original November 1st release has been pushed back. As is always the case with these kinds of projects, the more you work on it, the more clear the scope and size becomes. The original estimate was based on the development velocity at the time of writing, which of course cannot be consistently maintained for various reasons.
That said, the project is still in progress. But there will be no release in November.
Early to Mid 2021 First Official Release
- The Force Engine UI complete.
- Direct mod loading from zip files.
- Game setup and selection.
- Quake-style console.
- Windows support.
- Linux support (might not have distributed exe).
- Support for Dark Forces and Outlaws sector features such as slopes, dual adjoins, vertical adjoins, etc.
- Software rendering - “classic”.
- Software rendering - “perspective”.
- Hardware rendering - “classic”.
- Hardware rendering - “perspective”.
- OpenGL, audio, mouse/keyboard input, controller input, etc.
- Built-in level editor “preview” (incomplete level editor).
- Built-in asset viewer.
- Some built-in asset editing (i.e. export, import, create GOB/LAB, etc.).
- Dark Forces Complete (Beta).
- Dark Forces is fully playable, including mods.
- 100% INF functionality, including mods.
- Full iMuse implementation with hardware midi support.
- Full Cutscene implementation.
- Full Game UI implementation.
- Full game flow implementation.
- AI complete using reverse engineered behaviors.
- Player movement and collision using reverse engineered behavior (i.e. the “real deal”).
- Dark Forces save game support (use your existing save games).
- Outlaws in “tech demo” state (Alpha).
- Basic level rendering.
- “OGG” based music playback.
- Incomplete Game UI and game flow.
- The ability to play levels and interact based on Dark Forces code. Enemy AI will be incomplete and weapons likely missing.
- No multiplayer (yet).
The items listed below represent timeframes for major feature sets. Early on there will likely be many small releases, to fix bugs not caught during testing. However I won’t have a feel for the proper release cadance for a while, so any release timeframes are subject to change.
Early releases focus on finishing the core functionality - Outlaws single player, the editors and then multiplayer.
Outlaws Single Player
- Bug fixes (to be filled in).
- Outlaws Single Player Complete (including single player Mods).
- Outlaws AI complete.
- Outlaws Level Interactivity Complete.
- Outlaws UI & Gameflow Complete.
- Outlaws Cutscenes.
- Level Editor “complete” (i.e. fully usable).
- Improvements to asset tools, including the ability to convert assets (such as FBX).
- The ability to create levels/mods using either the Dark Forces (LEV) or Outlaws (LVT/LVB) format.
- Outlaws multiplayer, based on the original game.
- Dark Forces multiplayer.